What on earth do you do when you find delicious looking strawberries on a crazy good sale and citrus is in season and delicious? You buy an insane amount of both and make some super cinchy Strawberry Citrus Preserves. Duh. Here’s my recipe, it’s a breeze and you don’t have to fuss with any pectin or any such thing. For the win!
STRAWBERRY CITRUS PRESERVES
*makes 10 cups
- 4 lbs strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 8 cups granulated sugar
2. Transfer strawberry mixture to large heavy bottomed pot. Set to low heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved and strawberries are very soft. With a potato masher, mash strawberries until the texture is largely smooth with some strawberry chunks in tact. When sugar is dissolved and mixture is mashed, increase heat to high and bring to a rolling boil. Boil, stirring often until mixture reaches 220 degrees. As it boils the mixture will become thicker and thicker.
3. Immediately transfer preserves to sterile jars, leaving about 1/3 to 1/2 inch of space at the top. Process in water bath if you are canning to store, if you are going to eat preserves right away, skip the processing and move jars right to the refrigerator. Refrigerate for 12 hours before opening.
Serve on toast, mixed into oatmeal or even over ice cream. Enjoy!