Hello, hello! Today I’m bringing you a recipe from my favorite bakery in NYC, or anywhere for that matter, Magnolia Bakery. If you aren’t familiar, it’s a very well known bakery here in NYC known mainly for their cupcakes. These cupcakes are so good that at 9 1/2 months pregnant I walked about 10 blocks to get some at 10.30pm (those of you who have been that pregnant know what kind of commitment that is.) I sat in my house and ate two (do not judge me) and at a little after midnight my water broke. So in my personal life, they are somewhat magical. I don’t eat them often, because since the aforementioned pregnancy/water breaking/baby birthing extravaganza I’ve been trying to slim down quite considerably and unfortunately they’re not exactly low cal. These delicious Cherry Squares come from the More From Magnolia: Recipes From the World Famous Bakery cookbook and are a way I can indulge in some Magnolia goodness from my very own kitchen and without many of the calories. I tweaked the recipe a touch, which you’ll see in the pictures, just cutting it down to make only 9 bars instead of the 24 that the full recipe yields, other than that I made no other changes and the recipe with all the original ingredient amounts is what is posted here. They’re made entirely from pantry staples, simple enough to whip together for a week night dessert, tasty enough to pull out if you have company and if you can believe it each 2 inch square is only 138 calories!
MAGNOLIA’S CHERRY SQUARES
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canned cherry pie filling (it would be delicious with strawberry or blueberry filling also!)
- Confectioners sugar, for sprinkling before serving
- Butter flavored baking cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13×9 inch baking pan with baking cooking spray.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the dough evenly into the prepared baking pan. With a sharp knife or a toothpick score 24 2-inch squares. Place one teaspoon of the cherry pie filling in the center of each scored square.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool completely. Sprinkle generously with confectioners sugar just before serving.
Enjoy and if you are interested in checking out more recipes from Magnolia Bakery, pick up the cookbook here, I highly recommend it!