Eggplant Parmesan Sticks
Happy Friday, everyone and for those of you in the Northeast, Happy Nemo! Yes, the snow is a-comin’, friends, and I’m spending my day doing what I always do when a storm is supposed to hit: making sure there is enough food and movies to sustain us. Because my fifth grade teacher, Mr. Linaberry, taught me the 5 P’s: prior planning prevents poor performance (yay, knowledge!) I went to the grocery store yesterday before it got too crazy. Today I’m cooking away making sure that we all have tasty, comfort-y and healthy food to get us through the snow-y weekend. I just finished a batch of these yummy Eggplant Parmesan Sticks and wanted to share the recipe with you all. It’s super easy and a healthy alternative to traditional Eggplant Parmesan for your little one. Although, like everything I make River I would be lying to you if I didn’t mention that I may have tasted one (or four.) This recipe only makes about 3 servings because I’ve discovered River gets a little testy about eating things for more than 3 days in a row, so I try not to make large batches of things anymore. If you want to make more at one time it’s super easy to make as much as you want, just get as big of an eggplant as you wish and adjust the rest of the ingredients accordingly.
EGGPLANT PARMESAN STICKS
(makes 3 servings)
- 1 small eggplant, peeled
- 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/3 c. bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, whisked
- olive or vegetable oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch wide by 2 inch long sticks.
Eggplant cut into sticks
3. Line up three bowls next to one another. In the first mix the flour, garlic powder and salt, in the second add the whisked egg with 2 tsp of water and in the third mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
flour, breadcrumbs and egg wash
4. Dredge each eggplant piece in flour, the, egg egg wash, then generously coat each with the breadcrumb mixture. Move breaded pieces to baking sheet. When all of the eggplant is breaded, spray a light coating of olive oil or vegetable oil over them.
Breaded eggplant sticks
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
Out of the oven!
Serve eggplant parmesan sticks with a red sauce of your choosing. I am using a tomato sauce that I made a while back for a different recipe and froze the leftovers. Any red sauce will do!
Eggplant Parmesan Sticks