Hello everyone! I’ve been back in rehearsal for the past few weeks, so since I’m not doing as much cooking at home these days, I don’t have as many recipes to share. However, I did just make this one delicious dish yesterday for Karen (she doesn’t cook so while I’m in rehearsal I make her some kind of casserole to feed her for the week. Yeah, we do that.) This is super healthy, easy to pull together for a week night meal and she raved about it. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!
DECONSTRUCTED STUFFED CABBAGE CASSEROLE
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tsp. smoked spanish paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. sharp paprika
- 1 medium head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 – 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add ground turkey and cook until brown. Break up cooked turkey into small pieces. Remove turkey and reserve in a bowl.
- In the same pan add the other half of the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and paprika and toss to coat, cook about 2 minutes more. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, ground beef and salt and pepper. Let mixture simmer over medium-low heat until warmed through and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- While the meat and tomato mixture simmers, add chopped cabbage to a large pot of boiling water. Cover and boil about 8 minutes until cabbage is wilted and half cooked. Drain cabbage well.
- After the meat and tomato mixture has thickened a bit, mix in the cooked brown rice to the mixture and stir well to combine. Remove from heat.
- In the casserole dish add half of the cabbage mixture to the bottom of the dish and season with salt and pepper. Top the cabbage with half of the meat and tomato mixture. Add another layer of the rest of the cabbage, season well. Top casserole dish with second half of the meat and tomato mixture. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese on top. Return dish to oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.